Summer Spa: DIY Sugar Wax
This is is the first post in my Summer Spa series! This series will focus on refreshing ways to treat yo self and look you best this summer without breaking the bank. I am a huge fan of DIY fashion and beauty and I’m really happy to be able to share some fun projects that you can use to pamper yourself. Going to the spa is nice but you can often get the same results at home with a great DIY recipe.
This post will tell you everything you need to make your own DIY Sugar Wax. I love waxing because it can be really tedious to keep up with hair removal in the summer and shaving sucks. This wax is quick and easy to make and even easier to use. It may seem really intimidating to try and wax your own hair but I promise this recipe is so easy you’ll have to break up with your wax lady. Sugaring is a great method of waxing because it uses all natural ingredients that shouldn’t cause irritation before or after waxing. This wax can be used on arms, underarms, legs and even the bikini area, it’s completely up to you! Better yet, the excess can be stored for later use!
In order to make and apply this magical Sugar Wax you will need:
- 1 cup sugar
- 1/4 cup water
- 1/4 cup lemon juice
- Pour all of the ingredients into a small saucepan and bring to a boil
- Once the wax comes to a boil, allow it to boil for 3-5 minutes stirring consistently; stir until it is sticky enough to coat the back of a spoon and has a rich, amber consistency like honey
- Pour wax into a glass or ceramic container ( heat the container first so it doesn’t shatter when you pour the boiling wax in)
- Let the wax cool for 10-20 minutes. (Please, please, please follow this step. Don’t be impatient)
- Apply wax with popsicle sticks or a clean spatula (that you just use for waxing of course!)
- Apply cotton strips over and do your thing
- Do not cry (beauty is pain) and moisturize 10 minutes after
For the best results wait until the wax is warm but not hot and apply it aginst hair growth. Waxing works best after a shower when hair cuticles have been loosened so feel free to hop in the shower while the wax cools.
How often you will need to wax depends on how quickly your hair regrows. I can generally get away with only waxing twice a month. Follow these instructions and you’ll be on your way to silky, smooth skin for the rest of summer!
The only thing left to do is to ask yourself what you’re going to do with the extra 15 minutes you generally spend shaving!